Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Aim For Glory Not Glamour

As most of you know from Larissa's last post, I began my ministry at FCC Pleasanton as the Youth Pastor this past Sunday. I have spent a great deal of time recently reflecting upon the weighty role God has so graciously granted me. Though I am so thankful He has seen fit to place young souls under my care, I have been more aware than ever of the eternal nature of pastoral ministry. This has led to much contemplation about how one goes about engaging in ministry, in my case ministry to youth. As I began to think about this important question I realised how different I am from many Youth Ministers I have known in the past. Most have been far more hip and culturally connected than I. They have also typically been more focused on activities than I have ever desired to be. At this point I think it is necessary to say that for me I have felt some degree of pressure to fit this mould. It is when I feel this pressure, however, that my feelings collide with the word of God, and I am again reminded that if the trajectory of comtemporary Youth Ministry fails to be biblically sound then I must reject it. This is certainly not to say that being culturally aware is a bad thing or that engaging in activities is wrong, but when these things become front and center have we not departed from what is first and foremost? I will never be known as the coolest youth minister ever, nor will I ever be as up to date with cultural issues as many people are. I will also never love activities as much as I love teaching the word of God. But I am contented with that. Instead, I intend to strive, by God's grace, to labor for His glory by focusing on two things: 1. I want to tirelessly teach God's word with unction and accuracy and 2. I want my youth to know I love them. Certainly, youth ministry is more than this; but this is where I intend to begin and where I intend to remain. Others can have the glitz and glamour. I'd much rather see my Savior get the glory only He deserves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Will, There are many defining moments in a mother's life when she is overwhelmed with emotion and gratitude to God for the blessing of children. This is one of those moments as I read the words penned by you, my son. How grateful I am to be able to witness the choices you are making in your life and the life of your family. I read your words and praise God for the mighty work He is doing in you. Your diligence in studying the holy scriptures is obvious by your commentaries and your faithfulness to God's word is undeniable by the words of council you choose. It is amazing that through the technology of a computer you and your sweet wife have found a new platform from which you can spread your passion for our Lord with so many others. By God's own hand you are being molded into a pair of incredible shepherds who's sole purpose in life is to honor Him. I stand in awe of a mighty God, as I witness his handiwork and praise His name above all others. I pray that He will watch over you, renew you, protect you, and provide for you as only He can. I know you will remain steadfast in your walk and that your teachings will honor God above all else. I give thanks to Him for the man you are and for the privilege of being your mother.