Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Running The Race Even When I'm Laid Up!

As many of you know, the past few weeks have been physically draining and at times painful for me. Despite doing much better now, the days and nights spent on my back in bed are still quite vivid in my mind. Just a few nights ago, as I was finishing the book of 2 Timothy, I came across Paul's oft quoted counsel to young Timothy in chapter 4. Though I am sure you have heard his words many times before, listen for a moment to how the apostle Paul describes his nearly finished life of ministry.

"For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of rigtheousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only me but also to all who have loved his appearing."
(2 Timothy 4:6-8 ESV)


To my knowledge I am not coming to the end of my ministry as Paul was his when he penned these inspired words. However, his comparison of the ministry to an atheletic event is something I understand quite well. Pastoral ministry, like atheletics, requires a well-trained and continually conditioned man willing to finish well the race he started no matter what hurdles are placed before him. The question I have faced over the past few weeks is how a pastor can be considered an athelete running a race when he is lying in bed unable to move very well, much less run?

As I pondered this question, I began to reflect upon two realities. First, behind every ministry there is a minister, just like behind every race there is a runner. The ministry is not just about what is done by the minister but equally about what is effected within the minister! After all, a minister needs God's grace to work within him as much as he needs God's grace to work through him. Second, ministry takes place all the time. To think that ministry only consists of what is done by a pastor when he is in that official role is a colossal mistake. Whether it be responding to a letter from a youth, typing a post about a topic related to living the Christian life, or even praying for my youth while sick in bed, I am engaging in ministry.

As a result of these truths, I know that even though I may be in a leg of my race where I don't feel like an athlete I am still running and simultaneously being made into a better runner. This fact has revolutionized how I view those moments that may not seem like ministry but very much are. It also has revolutionized how I pray for my pastor. How about you? We must not pray solely for God to grant our pastors grace as they deliver their sermons. We must also pray for them even when they may be "on vacation" or engaged in some other activity that may seem more mundane than ministerial. I hope that I may never forget that I am always in the race that is the ministry and that when my ministry nears its close that I will be be able to say with Paul that "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

No comments: